Friday, September 24, 2010

Some people and their free time....

I met a woman at work the other day, who was making a tablecloth for a some girl in her church's wedding.  Trouble with this was that she was making them out of little green maple leaves. Hand sewing thousands of delicate little leaves together to cover the table that her wedding cake would go on. And this wasn't some retired old woman, no, she looked like a housemom. The concept of that kind of art was... insane to my mind. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. She was doing this for free. And not just once, for her own daughter, she did it all the time for the girls in her ward. She said it took an entire day of hard work to finish the table, and it all had to be sewn the before the wedding, because after a day, the leaves would get all crispy and dry.

Today I got fired/quit my job of four years at the Sugarhouse Bed Bath and Beyond, because this past half-quarter has shown me that I can't work 40 hours a week and get all my schoolwork done for school. I kept having to ask for last-minute days off of school to get homework done, or to get off early, or come in late, or switch schedules with someone..... My managers and co-workers all just start started to hate me. More openly than I would have preferred. After dealing with this for the past month, I had to call out again today to try and get my finals done, and some back homework done to get my grades back up.... my manager and I got into a fight. He said that he was sick of my scheduling bullshit, and that he couldn't take it anymore.... and I said that school was more important, so I turned in my two week application. Because I couldn't stand having people hate me at work, AND not having enough time to get all my homework done on time, or even get to my classes on time.

And yet this lady has the kind of time it takes to hand-sew a tablecloth out of leaves.... There's no justice in this world, I tell you. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment